24.7.08

thursday 24 JULY

reading
Beneath Olympic glitter, a 20th-century mindset
http://iht.com/articles/2008/07/24/asia/letter.php?page=1

vocabulary
ceremony
audience
labored
inception
monumentalism
for the occasion
lavished
irresistible
unprecedented
resurrection
accumulation
That's plenty to chew on
conforms to
on behalf of
paradoxically
woefully
decade
dictatorship
triumphed over
vanished
enterprise
approach to
Ironically
athletes
tragedy

speaking
Classic film clips

(1)buddy up with somebody :two means = become friend 交朋友
= very close to somebody 拉近关系
例:Can I buddy up with you ?I need a new lab partner for chemistry class.
You should buddy up with someone , you don't want to get lost in the crowd.
(2)drawing a blank 一片空白
I' m totally drawing a blank .( 片中)
例:I can't remember the name of that restaurant we went to last night ,I 'm drawing a blank
I'm drawing a blank , what was your brother's name again.
(3)beat it out of somebody 逼...说出(开玩笑)
例:She wouldn't tell me the name of her new boyfriend ,I practically had to beat it out of her . He didn't want to tell me the address to the party , I had to beat it out of him.

没有评论: